552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Thursday, May 22, 2003

Back in the Saddle

After a four-day hiatus, I'm back in the blogging saddle, kids. The last few days have SUCKED.

Sunday, I went in early and stayed late because of the special. Then Monday, I had to be at the golf course at 10am, to shoot interviews and video for our special. Then I had to anchor the 6pm news and the 11pm news. So that's a 14-hour day. Then Tuesday, I had to be at the golf course at 8:30am, shoot video and interviews all day (lugging around 40 lbs of equipment the whole time), then go back to the station and write and edit all the stories that we shot on Monday and Tuesday. That's a 16-hour day, in case you're keeping track (I did manage to sneak home for a 2-hour nap). Wednesday, I had to be back at the golf course by 9:45am to shoot all the "look-live" elements of the special. The original plan was to do the whole thing live, but we were supposed to get some freak thunderstorms that night, so we taped it and edited the whole thing together. The problem is, doing it taped is about 1,000 times more of a pain in the ass than doing it live. So then, I had to run back to the station, help them put together the finished product, then go shoot a baseball game (State QuarterFinals), then go shoot a soccer game (State SemiFinals). By the time I left the station, it was 7pm. So there's a full day, too.

Today and tomorrow are my "days off." Only problem is, I don't get tomorrow off, because the golf tournament starts tomorrow. So I'll be back on the links at 9am again.

The good things are:
1. The Columbus Southern Open is a Champion's Tour event (Otherwise known as the Senior Tour). That means no golf on Thursday. Back when we hosted the Buick Challenge, I didn't get a single day off that week, because the day after we wrapped the special, the tournament would start, so there was no down-time.
2. The "seniors" are a lot more fun to talk to. They're more relaxed, they're having a good time. Just don't ask them about Annika. They want to keep as far away from that topic as possible.
3. This year's tournament is at Green Island Country Club, a mere 10 minutes from my apartment. The Buick Challenge was at Callaway Gardens, which is a 45-minute drive. Last year, I was leaving my apartment at 7am to get there in time.
4. Free food when I cover golf tournaments. Most sporting events give you free food, but at a golf tournament, you actually have enough free time to eat it. And even if it's a cheeseburger, the food at a country club always beats the food at a ballpark.

Too bad I don't like golf.

Actually, I've been watching the Colonial today, just to see how Annika is doing, and so far, she's kicking ass. As I'm writing this, she's just two strokes off the lead, and could easily be in the lead, but she's left almost every birdie putt about six inches short.

One of my co-anchors was driving me nuts the other day. I did a 30-second piece on Annika, since it's the biggest sports story this side of Funny Cide. Anyway, during the commercial break, she was saying "I don't see why that woman has to go and do that. She's won enough tournaments, why's she gotta stir up all that trouble by playing with the men?"

What I wanted to say (but didn't) was that Annika could probably make more money taking 30th place on a men's tour event than she would winning an LPGA event. Or maybe that she's sick of people saying that she's the world's best golfer... that doesn't have a penis. Or maybe, God Forbid, she wants to learn something from the experience and improve herself.

But I digress.

By the way, since I wrote that Annika was "kicking ass," she's bogeyed a hole. Still, she ain't doing bad.

Labels:

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa